Thursday, June 5, 2008

You figure it out


When we landed in Timika waiting for our luggage I saw this sign and realized that this is the definition of me. Am I domestic, do I belong here or am I a foreigner...always it seems, but the last one...for sure, it seems I am always a passenger, on the way somewhere.
We have been in Bali for a few days and if there was phrase to describe our stay here it would be be Bali...For Sale! On the way to WaterBom yesterday about 6 taxi drivers asked if we needed a driver, 5-6 people were trying to kidnap us to hear a time share pitch (Don't even get me started on that), every person from every store was pushing their wares and then if we had not had enough, we had people following us asking for our attention for a survey, or service they were trying to sell. As we sat down to watch the sunset we were surrounded by 4 people trying to sell, jewelry, mats, hair braiding and massages. We were supposed to go to a movie but I had about enough. I can't see coming to Bali to take a vacation, right now I am more stressed then I have been in a long time. I hate being rude but it seems that being rude is the only no these sellers listen to. Then on top of all of that there are beggars on the road, prostitutes in the alleys, and idols being worshiped at every street corner...Don't you want to come? Maybe we are not at the right place. yet or not seeing the right thing yet...we are moving away from center city and maybe out of here we will see what Bali is all about.

No comments: