Monday, August 18, 2008

Red shoes, failed farming and walking the dog


First of all...we had a beautiful patch of growing corn..strong tall stalks...HAD! A freak windstorm came and blew them all down . WHAT IS WITH THAT!!!! If it had been a larger patch it would have been a crop circle. They were so beautiful, I almost felt farmish. Not that I like corn, I was so impressed with our growing ability.
Mijo bought some red shoes for school...She said to me as I was looking at cute little whatever shoes that I know everyone would be wearing. " Mom, if everyone is wearing these I won't". I will be counter cultural..I so wonder where she gets that tendency? So she will be wearing red converse shoes to school..and every day when I see her in the halls...I will be so proud!
Mocha is not Winzig when it comes to going for a run. She walks close to Scott when we go out to the fields. Winzig would run like the wind and run as hard as she could. Mocha, stays as close as she can. We will see, she is still young.
What do all these random things have in common you may ask?
Nothing seems to be in my control, the growing corn, the wardrobe choices of my daughter and the dog...I can't for the life of me get the smallest detail to work out...Isn't it great! I need to be reminded every day that I am not, nor will ever be in control of anything except how I respond to life's medley of randomness. Letting go of the idea that control is even desirable...and embracing in full my control in response. I love what red shoes symbolizes, how I cannot even control my small patch of corn and that Mocha will do whatever she wants...Oh well! Isn't life funny that way...

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

One of the blessings of farming is being reminded often that we are not in control... : ) Sorry about your "crop failure". Congrats that you have a daughter that will wear what pleases HER, and -- it's always easier to teach a dog to "go" after they know to "come" or "stay"! : )