Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Old men and dogs


After my diatribe about Mocha I settled down and looked at this picture again. This is what I want, not the being an old man, but the companionship of a dog on a leisurely walk on an Autumn day. The settled understanding between man and beast...rather then the intensity of a puppy with too much energy and not enough room to run.
Scott can't bring himself to let the dog go... there is an old man hiding under his youngish..well, I guess middle aged soul. He is that man walking his dog, that is his vision of Mocha even in the middle of all her piddle. He still hopes for her so he perseveres even in all the frustration.
Me...I am working so hard to live in the present that the present situation overshadows the futures possibilities. She still is here...grabbing the pizza off the counter, eating my corn bread off the counter, barking in my ear...and loving me every moment she sees me. Enthusiasm which knows no bounds as I enter the room. So I look at this picture, I am envisioning the future...strolling down the road with said dog strolling along in the sunshine.

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

That's what we have now with our boxer...She crawls up next to me and lays her head on my lap while we watch TV...When she's outside, I see her finding a sunny spot to lay in and survey her kingdom... She can't wait to walk with me around the field, getting ahead, but not out of sight... BUT -- she was nuts when she was a pup, peeing with excitement when visitors came, eating inedibles that made her puke--on my carpet, she even pooped under the desk once while I worked on the computer (that was my bad tho...I should have distrusted her!)Oh my! I'm glad those days are over, and glad that we persevered because it is great now...Hopefully, one day you'll say that about Mocha too.