Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fall and falling

The colors are grand this year. I have no idea if they were grand last year since we were not here to observe last years Fall season. This year,though...it is wonderfully pretty.
I am in a funk of some sort and I can't seem to shake it no matter how spectacular the colors are. Uncle Frank passed away at the start of the week. Aunt Wilma his wife is in a nursing home. These were my houseparents growing up in ,then it was called, Irian Jaya. Uncle Frank also walked into Mapnduma with my Dad 45 years ago to start 'the work' there. These men and women risked a lot to be where they were. I wonder would I have done the same? There was a kind of cavalier attitude in the adventure of it all. Risking family relationships, marriages and often times health to go farther and do more for the Kingdom. All good then, maybe now...who knows. Scott and I think often about going back to Papua. There is in me that quiet voice calling so intently...make a difference, do something bigger then running errands and fixing lunches, make your mark by giving yourself away. Serving harder, serving better, serving at all...I don't know anymore.
It is Fall here in the beautiful Northwest, we have had a spectacular one so far. Me, I am falling deeper into a funk. No worries though, it is only a season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about "Uncle Frank"s passing. What was his last name? Did he and his wife tell you stories from the time when he walked in? If you have time, it would be great to have those stories available as reference when I get down to "story collecting." Just a thought! - lew

Anonymous said...

Not to negate your "funk", but perhaps the reason for it/ or it growing stronger is the grieving your feel for this special man in your life. He was family to you - a parent when you needed surrogate parents and that means the bond was fairly strong. Just a thought. But if this is the underlying reason - let yourself grieve - it is natural. I am praying for you!