Saturday, May 2, 2009

Am I missing something?

Dreams, visions, a Word...I have always wanted this kind of relationship with God. Direction via dreams, assurance via a word spoken, confirmation from an outside source about an inside truth. I have been to many a meeting where God speaks to someone about something and I have waited for that word for me. Friends of mine have dreams, invitations, visions about the next place they are to go...what they are to do and for what great plan they are a part of.
Am I missing something in my relationship with God? Is that kind communication for only the few? Am I just in a wrong denomination? Wouldn't that be sad if God did not communicate in this fashion because the denomination did not think He did...that would be so sad.
I know people limit God's expression, I don't want to. I would be overjoyed to have a dream, a vision and Word of confirmation...anything. BUT...and there always seems to be that big BUT, my relationship with God runs in the normal parameters; A feeling, a sense, a great verse, beautiful creation, a good book. I feel I am missing something though...like I have been swimming in a pond when I have been invited to swim in the Ocean. I just don't know how to get there...or even if I am invited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that hunger for God and increased desire to communicate with Him is evidence of a healthy spiritual life. I hear that coming through in your blog. Samuel was instructed to say, "Speak Lord, for your servant is listening [with the connotation of intending to obey what will be said]." Then listen and obey what you hear.

You are right that God uses a range of modes to communicate and that we need to be open to all of them. One safety that I use is to declare verbally that I want the Holy Spirit of God and ONLY that Spirit to speak. All other spirits/voices are to be silenced in the name of Jesus - when you take that authority and position, you will possibly note that the "chatter" in your head quits - and then you can hear the solitary sweet voice of God's spirit.

I look forward to hearing what you are "hearing" in the days ahead.