Sunday, May 31, 2009

For better for worse, in sickness and in health.

Maybe in the marriage ceremony they should also ask...would you be willing to change your wife's' bedpan when she is unable to move out of her bed?
In the many things that have transpired over this past week and there have been many...the constant amazement for me is how much my husband loves me. When he was changing one of my bedpans at the hospital because I was uncomfortable having the male nurse do so...he said as he gently manoeuvred me...I kind of assumed we were going to help each other when we were old, this seems kind of soon. Another thing that has humbled me beyond understanding is how much people seem to care for me. The love, care and concern that has been poured out in such abundant measures has shifted my whole mental landscape.
I have been so grateful this past week in every painful, uncomfortable, intense moment that I was spared so much worse. I am able to heal...I am able to feel...I am here. This is a new thing for me...being so helpless, so in pain, so dependent and so thankful at the same time.
I will have time to write...so come long with me and share my journey as well as yours.

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

You have been in my thoughts so often -- and my prayers! What a journey you have been thrown into (no pun intended, is that the way it happened? I wince!!) I pray that you will be able to endure the pain, the restlessness, the long days...and that your recovery will be complete!Already I admire your perspective...continue to hold on, dear friend!