Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nursing assistant


I can't remember a time when I have been so dependent on everyone for everything. Going to the bathroom, moving, getting clean, eating...and the list goes on and on.
Elfrieda, my Dad's wife and my wonderful friend, has been my nurse these past few days. She is a nurse and when we were in Irian Jaya growing up I wanted to grow up and be a nurse just like her. She gently gives me back my dignity my helping with all the things that we do in the privacy of the bathroom. As she washes me clean from the days perspiration and helps me into some clean clothes I realize that she is in her tenderness doing a Holy thing. It may be doing things to the least of these that please God but I think it is also doing the least of things. Like washing the feet of the disciples...unless you are willing to do these kind of things...you won't know what it means to lead.
In the hospital the nurses assistance are the ones who do all the dirty work..clean the bedpans etc. Being on the receiving end ... I think it is holy work. There is something about giving dignity to the hurting that is a Great work. Jesus is called the Healer, maybe I understand Him better as the Nurses Assistant. He doesn't just come and diagnose..he comes and cleans me up.
I could never be as kind or patient as Elfrieda when it comes to serving the sick...but my goodness I can be patient, kind and tender in the places He has called me to serve/lead.
Her tenderness to me changes the whole day for me...it really is that simple.

No comments: