Friday, April 2, 2010

A good Friday

In my ESL this week I am showing the Jesus film. I was going to do it in English but realized that the reason I am showing this movie is that these students have an understanding to what all the hoopla is at this time of the year. If you have ever tried to tell the story of the death and Resurrection of Jesus to a person who has never heard the story before...it is a strange experience.
So who killed Jesus? Why, if he is good? Why is it a good Friday when it is a bad thing? Why did they let Barabbas go? He did not really die because he came back to life on Sunday, right?
I tell them that to understand this LC culture and from what foundation each teacher here at LC teaches, they need to understand how important the life and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is. I keep telling them that this is what we believe...but it sounds so foolish.
The Jesus film allows the character to speak in many languages...Chinese being one of them. Wrap your mind around this ...A white man speaking in Chinese representing a Jewish man in Israel to Chinese students in the US about a faith that transcends each of these cultures. How do you begin to make sense of it all...So I pray that they fall in love with the man Jesus who will lead them back to God.
They look at me and I wonder if they have lost some respect for me. How could an educated woman believe in this complicated reality?
If you think Santa Clause muddies the water at Christmas...try putting the Easter bunny next to the Crucifixion. I hope to teach well, live better and love always.

No comments: