Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Arriving at Gate......

We have arrived...non-eventful everything. I have been reminded again and again how little I need to worry. It is a daunting flight and amazing in its length. We left on Saturday morning at 1:30 AM from San Fran and arrived here in Papua at 7:30 Am Tuesday morning. We have slept and woken up at strange hours. We went shopping yesterday for essentials...here in Indonesia you work in the Millions. 1 million rupiahs is about 100 dollars, there are a lot of zeros to deal with when you are looking at the price.
We live at the school, it is beautiful...the fans are going all the time, it is also a bit on the warm side. The cicaks (small lizard) make a wonderful clicking noise at night as the cicada's turn on their charm at 5:30PM. The Prayer calls from the Mosque wake us up at 4:30...and revelry from the military post at about 5:30. If we leave our toothbrushes out for too long they will be swarmed by the ants. Well, anything left out too long will be swarmed by ants. I tried to buy from a lady who came to the door our first night here. She laughed when I gave her all out money and gestured for her to take what we owe since I could not figure out what she wanted. She was kind and took only what she needed....I think. :)
It is surreal to be here...in so many ways I have no idea what to think. I am just soaking it in at the moment. Scott is a pro at all of this. He is not liking this adjustment time and wants to just get going with work and helping. He is quite amazing in his adaptability. The kids...are doing GREAT !! Nick has several friends and Mijo is calling the lizards cute.
I will post pictures as soon as I get them on the computer...Just wanted you all to know...we are here !!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mrs. Price, I'm so happy for you it all sounds so amazing, it's hard to believe that you are actually there, :-) Wishing you and your fam all the best,- caitlin s.

about the long and winding road... said...

THank you Caitlin...keep writing and let me know what you are doing with your life...

Paul van der Bijl said...

you made it. there's nothing like the warm tropics. wish i was there.