Saturday, August 11, 2007

Red Number Days

Yesterday at 4AM the prayer call was not only louder but longer. So you lay in bed and wait for the call the be finished and wonder if this is the new alarm system you will have to adjust too. BUT, it is the ascension day of Mohamed so prayer times were more important and shops were closed.
It is a red number day for the Indonesians. Also for us, Scott and I have been married 5 years yesterday as well. For celebration we went to a Indonesian wedding reception in Abepura. We arrived at 6:30 PM, 15 minuted late, we did not start the reception until about 7:30. Even for the missionaries who have been here a long time, being on time is a hard habit to break. It would have been nice to be able to talk to each other but the music was so loud I had to keep telling Nick not to plug his ears.

I want to put some pictured on the computer but the cord that helps me do that is in our luggage which is somewhere between Jakarta and here. Scott and Nick have been living out of their hand luggage for almost a week now. Mijo and I brought our suitcases through so we were under limit but were also promised that the rest of our barang ( stuff) would arrive the next day....as you can see it has not been the case.

Scott has been given the green light to drive. This is good because we now have more mobility, scary because it is all so different. I am supposed to learn, somehow it is not on my priority list. We want to get a motor bike, that would be fun. You have to realize that the roads are small, there are no fast rules, everyone thinks they have the right of way, motor bikes assume you can always see them even if they don't look at on-coming traffic, there are no passing lanes, traffic signals or shoulders. I might just be a passenger for awhile.

We have orientation this week for school..we start on the 20th and go straight through with no breaks until Christmas...but then we also have 4 weeks for Christmas break. This gives the High schoolers here at boarding school a longer time with their families.

I am sure we will have quite a few red number days here in Papua, and not only because it is on the calender. I will be sure to let you know....

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't believe you travelled all the way to Indonesia and can still remember to post... I can't even remember even though all I am doing is travelling around the US! Pathetic!! Glad to know that God cares about lost purses, airplanes and cute lizards! I wonder if prayer call will eventually just be like trying to wake up to music on the alarm. I tried that before but it takes so long to penetrate consciousness now that I have to use the buzzer! Praying that the luggage comes so you can have everyting all set before the school year... thanks for keeping us updated!

about the long and winding road... said...

Thanks Lisa....Instead of writing everyone about all that is going on it seems so much easier to post. Thanks for the encouragement.