Sunday, August 26, 2007

Beaches and Birthdays...


We will have to have a picture here of the day we spent at the beach.

YES..it came through. No, I did not steal this picture from an add in a travel magazine...It was Nick's bday on Saturday so we collected 4 of his new friends, packed a lunch, crammed into a taxi, drove 45 minutes on a well traveled road, loaded into a boat with a beetle nut chewing captain, road another 20 minutes or so and arrived at this beautiful beach. We went snorkeling...I was swimming with Nemo and his friends, all except the sharks though I did keep an eye out for them. It is a strange world and a bit uncomfortable...I have no idea what I am supposed to be scared of so right at the moment I am nervous about everything that swims. There were these brilliant turquoise little bitty ones that I thought were very cute and could hardly do any harm so I swam a bit closer to those one. It was truly amazing. Nick said it was the best birthday ever...why not, we were at a warm tropical beach in a raggedy boys kind of country , exploring strange and wonderful new worlds, with PBJ for lunch. That's a good 11 year old birthday party.

I get to do this again this coming weekend. The whole of the high school, all 70 of us are going to spend 2 nights and 3 days on another beach about 45 minutes farther away then this one. I get to go because I am a HS teacher, it should be lots of fun though I am partial to showers before bed. We will see...

3 comments:

aevdbijl said...

hey, heidi. paul, elfrieda, and dad here. just read your entry. sounds like a lot of fun. sure do miss the snorkeling. you can go shark hunting at night when the moon is out. seriously. that's what i did when i was out there. small sharks lay down near on the sand near the bottom, you can just reach down and snag em. you just have to know how to gut them. anyway. hope all's well. miss you.

Unknown said...

Almost like an EDEN!! Gorgeous, fun AND educational. This will be such a lifetime experience for your children. I had to think about the birthday party once I realized it would actually be a young boy's idea of the perfect party. How will he remember it someday. Today, you are building memories that will be lifetime memories.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).