Sunday, October 7, 2007

Monday morning musings...

We had a picnic yesterday after church...we went up to Efar, the place where MacArthur established his headquarters while he was preparing to go back to the Philippines. I did have a picture to show you but the scene behind us in the new picture of us shows a bit of all that you can see. I will try and upload more when I can. It is a spectacular view and on this Sunday we also had a thunder storm to experience.

The students had their Sadie Hawkins this weekend. The girls do ask the boys out but then they dress up in costumes. It is pretty amazing how creative they can be with no costume stores to visit. Saturday morning we went to Abe to do some shopping. I was so excited ( small pleasures) to see tomatoes in the store only to find when I took off the wrapping that all of the six I bought were rotten.

We were attempting to make hamburgers and french fries for supper, not that I am tired of rice but...The rolls I had made from scratch were dense and small and the corn on the cob was , well not quite sweet and I already told you about the tomatoes. We made do and Mijo declared that it was the best meal yet. Earlier that day as we were buying food to go to the picnic we had bought something from a merchant on the side of the road. It was a noodle, tofu wrapped meat thing with mystery meat balls. I was good to go until everyone at the picnic refused to tell me what exactly was rolled in those meatballs. I lost my appetite, Scott who was hungry ate it up ( and he wont eat hot dogs in the States!) and Mijo and Nick...both ate, both finished. I'm waiting for the inevitable stomach ache...but so far so good.

Those of you who know Scott and are familiar with is disciplined eating habits. We were walking out the door and he is eating a chocolate bar...WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO !!!!!!

Oh..I am learning how to make bread..learning being the operative word as I explained the dense, small hamburger rolls. Scott and I will attempt this feat on our own this week. I had help with the making of the dough not the baking. While I am on the subject of Scott. He is working at MAF doing some welding. This sounds good but he is welding in the hot tropical sun with coveralls on that do not breath for free. His attitude for service and hard work still defines him even when he isn't getting a paycheck. Being here has been good for us as a family.

No comments: