Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bread

I have tried 3 recipes now and the last one I tried is pretty much the easiest and the best and all the other accolades I can think of. I came home, threw the dough together, let it raise, punched it down, put it in the oven, smelled the heavenly smell and was beginning to congratulate myself that finally yes, finally I was a bread maker. I had made 1 loaf and 6 hamburger buns. My family was amazed that I had mastered this tricky art of baking. I told them not to count their buns until the whole process was complete. Everything was going so well....
As I was taking the loaf out of the pan, the last move before the final gloating and horrors of horrors, it stuck, broke apart and lay in a messy heap on the counter. SO close to victory only to have it snatched away by a delicate oversight on my part. I had lubricated the pan but only minimally...oh my kingdom for some slathering.
I will try again, the bread will not defeat me, these failures have only made me stronger. I will succeed and I will be called....a bread maker!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it, girl - keep trying and learning!! I've been learning Romans 15:5 which says in part, "Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement . . ." I'm thankful that He does give both in whatever area we need it. - LEW

Unknown said...

This is a quick "bread recipe" that is called baking powder yeast biscuits.

Soak for 10 min: 1 and 1/4 c milk (warmed-but not hot or it will kill yeast), 3 Tblsp sugar, 1 pkg quick acting yeast.

While this is soaking, mix 3 cups flour, 1 Tblsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt. Cut in 1/3 cup oil. Add liquid and knead on floured board till smooth --- about 1 minute. Roll out & cut into biscuits. Place on greased pan, brush w/melted butter (if desired) and let rise 45-60 mins. Bake @ 425 degrees for 15 minutes.