Saturday, November 10, 2007

How do you eat an Elephant?

One little bite at a time...How does the Price family get discouraged? One more injury and/or illness. From the viral stomach thing of Scott's, to Nick's malaria, Mijo's wound and Nick's bacterial bout, I have been suffering from a tropical ulcer on my leg. While Nick was getting ready to go back to school from his bout with the bacterial stomach infection, I noticed a bump on my leg that was infected. I had received a scratch on our hike to those waterfalls last week but thought nothing of it. I had not even bled and it was just a scratch from a stick or something. I put on some medicine and went off to school. That evening, I looked at the sore and it was perfectly round, inflamed and red. I put on more medicine and thought maybe I should talk to the nurse the next day if it did not feel better. The next morning it was more red, warm to the touch and now it hurt to walk. Needless to say it is discouraging, we have not all been healthy at the same time for awhile now. I am on some serious antibiotics before this thing spreads and begins to eat my leg one little bite at a time.

Mijo came home from playing hunter with her friends, crying. I had made a bet with Scott prior to her going that she would come home from this outing with either an emotional injury or bodily injury. This is the nature of our beautiful 13 year old daughter. I won on both accounts. She was crying because she was going to miss everyone when/if we leave at the end of this year. She had also fallen down an embankment while playing...I think she bruised her leg. I encouraged her not to waste such intense emotions. She was borrowing from tomorrow, grief for today. We have enough today not to dive so far into the future. When that time comes it will be hard, but right now...it is good. Not too many weeks ago the tears were there because she missed being in Lynden. We are making some progress :).

Scott has been an exceptional nurse. He worries for me and about me...I am grateful for the care. By the way, I am now a bread maker !

No comments: