Saturday, November 3, 2007

Into the WILD!

Finally, you have a picture. Yesterday, after sitting all morning with students doing their SAT's. I was invited to go on a hike with the dorm next door. There were about 8 of us. Nick and Scott were with a friend putting together an ultra-light. Mijo was lounging at home. Her foot is getting much better but she still needs some down time to heal. The American Ambassador had been here in the AM to much pomp and circumstance but alas I missed him, I was sitting with 12 students as they slogged through the way too long and drawn out test. I came home, thinking I was going to relax when I got this phone call from Joan. Why not...I thought to myself, the boys are gone, Mijo is playing a computer game. I threw some essentials in my back pack...put on some sensible shoes and off we went. I told Mijo where were were going and who I was going with...BUT (always a but when it comes to adventures in this family) she was concentrating on her game and heard only that I was going hiking to a waterfall but with whom and how long, she did not hear.
We starting hiking around 3 and got up to this spectacular waterfall at about 4:30. Needless to say, the local guides were not as sure as to how to get up there and there were several times in the walking over, through and around fallen logs that I was wondering if we were going to arrive anywhere interesting. We kept going...on and on, in and farther into this wild. BUT then...WOW, was it spectacular. Huge waterfall cascading down into a blue lagoon. YES..I should have that picture, but then I did not have my camera, Scott did. The picture at the start gives you an idea of terrain. We could not stay long...it gets dark here at 6, we walked out in twilight.
MEANWHILE back at the farm...
Mijo was frantic because she did not know where I had gone, who I had gone with and when I was supposed to have returned. Here we go again.... As I walked muddy, wet and tired back to the house, I was welcomed as if I had risen from the dead. Scott , looking relieved that again he did not have to go in search of his wife, was a bit disappointed in Mijo's listening skills. ME...I knew I had told her and assumed...yes, now you know the rest of the story. One of these days we will be able to go on a hike up some jungle pathway and return home without anyone planning search parties. There is another waterfall that needs exploring..maybe on that hike...
Nick is sick again and again we don't know exactly what it is. If it is another bout with malaria, I am at a loss as to what we do from here to keep him healthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi & all the Prices -
A recent conversation with the Kroontjes sent me to a far-too-late scoping out of your great blogsite. It's great to read just a little about your experiences (knowing we're getting the sanitized versions, of course).

Remember: the best missionary stories involve busses, bathrooms, and near-death experiences (with bonus points for combinations of those). Have a great day, and blessings to you as you serve & grow.

Anonymous said...

Heidi - Thanks for letting us know that Nick needs prayer - and health. May you have the wisdom and medical assistance to know what is to be done. "If anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask of God . . . " (James 1:5)- LEW