Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Not Subtle at all

Americans are not subtle. We are out there most the time about who we are, what we like, why we like it and why you should like it as well. We celebrate everything with more panache them maybe necessary but here in Papua..specifically Sentani, they have us beat with in your face Christmas music. There is nothing subtle about the Christian community and desire to celebrate this holiday. Not too long ago I told you about Idul Fitri and the singing, wailing prayer calls at all hours in the night. Well, about every evening when the prayer calls are supposed to be heard we have been listening to VERY LOUD Christmas music. In the last 30 minutes we have gone around the world from Englands Bony M to Felice Navidah to Yo Jingle bells from the hood. Mixed in there is a a few Indonesian Christmas songs, but mostly good ole American Christmas music. It is so loud, that we can sing along in normal voice and it would still be louder. It seems that it is pay back time for the month of Ramadan. It is as if the message broadcasting is that this is our time to celebrate with absolute abandon. Not subtle at all. I like Christmas music..usually, but I don't know if I like it piped into my home with no volume control every evening till New Years.
I have no idea what speakers they are using, but I am praying for some power outages. I am an equal opportunity curmudgeon when it comes to volume, I don't like noise no matter the content...I like things subtle, quiet and sacred especially when it comes to the Christmas season. Oh well...I could tell them what I like, why I like it and why they should also like it my way..but no one is asking.
As I leave they are singing " I am dreaming of a white Christmas", I guess I am dreaming of a quiet Christmas with as much success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi - I too like a lot of silence - music low and meaningful. At the ladies banquet I attended on Monday night, I was forced into a self-protect mode (fingers in the ears) by the sound levels used by the musical numbers (voice and piano only). But when it is in your home - you can't use fingers - ear plugs??
I know you were only informing, not looking for solutions - and I'm just identifying with you. LEW

Unknown said...

I can't believe how tall Nick and Mijo have grown since we last saw them! The picture was much appreciated...