Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What is on our minds...rootedness.


One of the issues this MK deals with is the inability to be feel rooted to anyplace. I know I am not an unusual MK but I can only speak for myself in this situation. Going back to Papua I thought I would get in touch with my roots, only to find that they weren't there either. Having lived in this house on 315 10th street for longer then any other place in my 45 years, I should have some roots here. With the possibility of leaving this house for an indefinite period of time, I realize that I do. When I say possibility, trust me...it is a looooooooooooooooooong shot but Scott and I are still thinking that we would like to go back to Papua and work long-term with Netaiken. Everything, though , does not work in our favor to do so and the least of the reasons is my rootedness to this place. There are issues such as our age, kids age and education, family health, house, retirement, comfort, finances and the little roots that have finally grown into this soil.
Our Pastor talked about what it means to have faith this last Sunday, faith that doesn't trust in what appears but trusts in God. Like Moses it would be great to have an audible voice, burning bush, I don't know...a certainty of any kind. We have nothing but desire and for me...some fear. What would it feel like to tear up those roots of what is familiar, comfortable, predictable, safe and live where there is none.
This is what is on our minds these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't relate to your life circumstance. I've been rooted in this home for over 36 years - and can not imagine moving. I'm not clinging, I don't think - I just can't imagine living anywhere else.

In spite of having deep roots or only rootlets, I'm thinking we do need to continually keep our "tap root" sunk into the foundation of God Himself. As we nurture that basic root, will the essential moving that comes with living be easier? I wonder. - lew