Saturday, January 31, 2009

Segue...



I did not take this picture...I am assuming you would have known that but I like taking pictures just don't happen to be an astronaut.

Segue...I have posted many heavy subjects of late and as pertinent and present as they may be I know that heavy, serious and intense is hard to read, hear and see day after day. Today is a segue to things that are lighter, until I talk myself out of being only intense, serious and heavy. This is my bent but sheesh...lighten up a bit.

I have this lovely 100% robin's egg blue wool sweater. Kind of the same color as this space phenomena. It was expensive but I bought it at a store I worked at so...it was discounted. I have kept this sweater in pristine condition for many years now simply because I did not wear it much at all. I wore it to a Christmas party but left it there when I came home and in the transition from that place back to my house it got really dirty. I threw it in the washing machine...thinking...I will wash it and then let it hang dry. I thought that...it was in the drying that wool shrunk. It is in the washing. As I looked at this condensed version of my beautiful sweater ... well, I was angry at myself for not knowing better. I began in earnest to stretch and pull to try and get this sweater back into shape. It has sat in my dining room ever since...an intense version of what is should be.

Mocha in her spastic nature knocked some soup off the counter onto this same sweater so back in the wash it went... but this time I had a plan.

As soon it was finished ..I took it out and put it on. I was going to wear this sweater dry...first over a shirt, then over my jacket and finally over Scott's down jacket...Stretching it out as it dried. I had to go to school before it was completely dried but when I came home..Scott was wearing my sweater over his jacket. Pause.. and put that image in your mind, it was funny. My sweater is more wearable but it will never be back to its original version... but maybe I will wear it more now that it is lived in...literally.

I think...that's what age does and is doing to me. I am becoming more wearable, more comfortable with good enough. I won't ever become what I hoped to become...I am becoming who I am. Hopefully...easier to be around and more comfortable to wear.

No comments: