Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mijo's voice

My daughter has been singing on key since she was a little child. I was always amazed to hear her sing the minor keys in songs she had just heard. She sings all the time and when given freedom to belt out a tune...watch out because she will belt. Her voice is a quiet voice though...not one of those that echos through the auditorium. Her voice is warm and clear and does not mimic the raspy, breathless, nasally pop sound that seems so popular. I have been very careful to not praise too much...seem to have picked this up from my mom. Maybe I did not have anything that was worthy of report but my Mom never told me what I was good at. I still have no idea what would have merited praise from her but I never received it. Her motto was...let others praise you and not yourself. This is all well and good...I don't think she realized that she was part of the 'other' camp and she was allowed too. So I don't want to be like my Mom in that regard...yesterday while Mijo was practising a song she will be singing in competition next week I told her...Mijo, you have a beautiful voice. I love the sound of its warmth and clarity. You really sing well and I think you should pursue some lessons to hone that talent.
Mijo looked at me as if I had told her she had won a million dollars. Had I really never told her? Really? It seems I am sparing in my compliments. This I need to change.
My daughter has a beautiful beautiful voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi - your blog prompted me to write a blog on the area of "words of blessing" - tell me what you think. - lew