Thursday, August 5, 2010

belies the fear within

Mijo and I had a great time in San Fransisco...Lisa and her mom gave us such a gift of adventure and fun for which we will always be grateful.
I learned something on our boat trip out in the bay ... I am afraid of more then I realized. In this picture you can't see it but underneath the merry smiles I am dealing with fear. We hit some swells while were were under the bridge, nothing extreme of threatening but suddenly the same fear that attends when I fly in an airplane settled on me. My first reaction was ' Great...now I can't travel in a boat either' which has been my all time dream way of traveling, boat and train. Where did that fear come? Why here and why now? As I tried to analyze this new anxiety I wondered if it was because of my accident with the horse last summer. A seemingly 'safe' activity that turned out horrible wrong. Will I now be saddled (excuse the pun) with this burden of fear whenever I embark on any form of transportation other then a car? If this is true...I will certainly be hobbled (can't seem to stop) in any attempt to travel. Maybe I should go back on a horse ...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...that form of transportation has a mind of its own which as far as I know is not true for planes, trains or boats. What do we do with irrational fear that has a rational basis: Planes do crash, boats do sink trains do derail and horses do buck. Cars on the other hand...crash all the time!
I really do not want to be afraid anymore, so where do I go from here? How do I become a brave and confident traveler?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walter Boldt, one of my former pastors, said that one thing that helps to neutralize fear is to look at the very worst thing that could occur in the fearful situation. Face it squarely as a possibility and then move forward. Like you said, "Cars crash."

Another helpful question could be, "Where is Jesus in this situation of fear? Stay with the fear until you see where your Lord is - then move to Him. Talk to Him about your fear. Listen for His message - what does He want you to know at this moment?"

Does any of this resonate with you? - lew

Sharon said...

When you truly have the answer Heidi, let me know. This is an issue for me that raises it roaring head too frequently lately - but in different areas. Funny, because I conquered the airplane thing years ago. Anyway I hope you come up with the answer. I like Lew's answer. It is true, but I guess I want more than that (sound familiar?)

Anonymous said...

funny..Lorraine...I often think that the fear does not leave because i have these amazing conversations with God when i am flying. Sorta like it keeps me close :) With all the flying I have done in my life...I have had long conversations with God ...pleading with Him for relief...Sharon...I have and will let you know because this issue is too debilitating for me...H