Saturday, July 31, 2010

falling away

"Lack of interest", he said. That's what she said for the reason she left the marriage. She no longer wanted to work at staying in. Marriage is such a tentative thing at the best of times, easily fractured at the worst. Having been married to two different men I can see that more then not, love is a choice not a feeling. It is the same with our relationship with God I think...but with Him, it is a long distance relationship bolstered by letters and 'phone-prayer' calls. Long-distance relationships are fraught with temptations and longing, sadness and anticipation, frustration and contentment. A relationship built on trust and covenant where the One will never waver but the other will always wonder.
"Lack of interest", she said. My heart hurts for my friend who heard this from his wife. A 16 year relationship just fizzled away like pin hole leak in tire. Aware that there is something wrong but after a while letting it go because it is just such a hassle to stop and fix the leak...
Both relationships take effort and attention, a lack of either brings devastating consequences.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I too hear this way to often and I wonder if the alternatives of letting go really satisfy in the long run! I have been taught "love is a commitment!" Yes there are feelings attached, but it is the commitment that drives us to the work and sacrifice to keep that commitment. I think of God's commitment to me - true love at its ultimate! Commitment work on our part is hard - it is daily, it is self-sacrificing, it is suffering and many times the feelings attached are not love. They can be disappointment, disillusionment, even anger at times. But those feelings, I have learned over my many years of marriage, do not negate my commitment- only make it harder to carry on. I guess this is what I Corn 13 is really saying to us at its core.

Bless you as you are there for your friend! Sharon