Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Supposed to be fun


I forgot to tell you about our flight to Bokodini. Nick finally was able to sit in the front seat. Of all the flying we have done, he hadn't had a chance and finally after all the flight simulator games he had been playing he was in the real thing. He helped take off, he helped fly while in the air and then...we experienced ...well, let me explain how it went. Doug ( our pilot)wrote us a note asking if it would be OK to have a bit of fun and have a weightless experience there in the air. I had heard about this but never experienced it and right away thought it might not be such a good idea. Scott was all for it...Yes, lets do it, so we did.
What this involves is going up for a bit then going down for a bit..a lot like a roller coaster. I don't like roller coasters, Nick does not like roller coaster, Scott loves roller coasters. Needless to say as we began and finished this experience in the air, I was terrified and Nick...lets just say, I think he likes the simulator experience a bit better. What may have happened and I am hoping it didn't is that now Nick has a fear of flying. On the way from Wamena we experienced some turbulence, I hate flying and then I saw the same fear written across the face of my son. I have learned this fear from my mom and in that moment I saw what I had transferred to mine. So where do I go from here, how do I ungive this gift that keeps on giving? Especially now on the cusp of so much traveling. It isn't really what I want my son to learn from me...Any advice?

2 comments:

Among Worlds said...

Let Nick talk it out with you - and if at all possible, go for another airplane ride (short one if possible) so he can see if he is really scare of flying - or if that one experience, because it was so unexpected, is what scared him. Just m2cw.

Tabish Faraz said...

i am scared of roaler coasters. I won't ever allow anyone to do that while i am in the plane.