Monday, July 12, 2010

If you don't now maybe you should...

Scott was at drill this weekend so before he goes down to Tacoma for the week we met half way for supper. Since he is coming from drill he has his uniform on ...I am such a sucker for a man in uniform. I really hate being apart from him and when he has drill the length of time between is that much longer. So meeting him for supper breaks up the distance if for a few moments. We timed it perfectly, as I got off the highway coming south, he got off the highway coming north and we drove into the parking lot at the same time. I was so proud to be on his arm walking into the restaurant. Then something strange happened as we waited. Two older men at different times came up to him, shook his hand and thanked him. " Thank you for serving sir", they said. Scott quietly responded, "You are welcome". We didn't talk about it during supper...I don't know if we will...

I lost my first husband in an accident, I often think about what I would do if I lost my second. He may have to go to Afghanistan or Iraq, that is what th National Guard do at the moment. He would be gone for 18 months in a place where being killed can be a part of the job description. A soldier...I have trouble going there, would I be so grateful that he served at that time?

Maybe more of us should say' thank you' to the men/women in the service. It makes a difference...


No comments: