Sunday, July 18, 2010

Strange day away

Yesterday, we went to sprinkle Scott's parents ashes near Mt. Rainer. A long drive down then up and then over. We gathered, Scott and siblings scattered and we went and had a picnic. Suffice it to say, much more simpler then a funeral, much less emotional...ashes to ashes and dust to dust.
Driving down we discussed the changes in funerals and cremations etc. I have decided that when I die, Mijo will take my ashes and use it as fertilizer for a beautiful tree. I first asked that she take my ashes and sprinkle them on my Mom's grave there in Papua, but planting a tree in her yard or Nick's would be simpler and much more efficient. This got us to wondering the reasoning's behind a grave and the burying of the dead. Our culture is beginning to change its ways about what and where to put the dead, I wonder if this is a reflection of something changing in our cultural mind set. Is there an inherent cultural or even religious value in gathering and burying the dead? Are we supposed to honor the dead in that way or in any way?

Suffice it to say, a morbid conversation but a curious cultural reality. The more primitive a culture the more elaborate it seems the dying and burying and/or burning process. The more important the person in life, the more extravagant his death. I think of lady Diana, Ronald Reagan etc. How would God want us to view this transition time...

It was a strange day in either case but being together as a family, in a car all day long...that was great.

No comments: