Sunday, July 11, 2010

Loyalty

My post on the world cup. Spain has officially won and to be honest with you I fell asleep in the second half. I am supposed to want the Dutch to win since that is my heritage but secretly I wanted the Spanish to win because they seemed to play nicer. Now since they have won, I am a fan of Spain. Don't tell my Dad...

I have many loyal fans in this house. Nick is a Colts fan and has been fan of Spain for a long time. He is very loyal to these teams. Scott is a Washington Redskins fan for NFL, English fan for soccer and Washington/Notre Dame for college football. Loyal through loss and wins and more losses. Me, I have no loyalty. I go for the winners all the time. Every year I see who has the best season and they become my team. Why not...why do I have to be loyal to something that does not matter?

The men in my family think this is awful...that I would so easily leave a team for another just because they are winning. Why Not? It is just a game, it really does not matter and my lack of loyalty does not reflect on my loyalty to what does matter.

I love winners...in games. I love to win in games. What else in life can you really try your hardest and get the reward. Nothing else really has that pay back. You can try your hardest at being healthy but that does not mean you will never get sick. You can try your hardest at work but you will not always get that promotion. You can love your most consistent but that does not mean your family will not disappoint you. Even in our faith, we are to run to win the prize but that isn't because we have come in first...we are supposed to come in last ! In games...the one who plays the best wins and it is so much fun.

Do not misunderstand...for me a game is a game. I really don't think competition is a fruit of the Spirit. I know many many disagree with me, especially those who have devoted themselves to playing a sport and getting really good at it. Some make too much of what is simply a gift of organized play. From the World cup, to the Olympics, to the LC football game this fall here in little Lynden...may the best man win and I will route for you. NOW...if my kid is playing...he/she is my loyalty.

No comments: